Caring for women at all stages of motherhood is our passion!
Chiropractic care during pregnancy (perinatal)
A pregnant woman undergoes major and rapid physiological changes, which can lead to additional stress on her body. The focus of chiropractic care is improving the mother’s balance and alignment of the spine and pelvis.
Here are some of the major benefits of chiropractic throughout pregnancy and beyond:
- Helps support postural changes while your baby grows
- Makes pregnancy much more comfortable
- Reduced need for pain medication
- Keeps pelvis aligned for optimal baby and birthing positioning
- It has been proven to reduce labor times
- It has been shown to decrease the risk of cesarean delivery and other interventions during pregnancy.
- Maintains a healthier pregnancy overall
- Helps ensure a faster postpartum recovery and a smoother transition for the mother and baby.
Seeing a prenatal chiropractor is so much more than just treating back pain. The ultimate goal of care is the best health possible for mom and baby. When a woman comes into our practice seeking chiropractic care, she goes on a journey of manual therapy (hands-on treatment), exercise guidance, diet and supplementation advice, as well as natural ways to deal with those nasty pregnancy symptoms and stress.
Common conditions of pregnancy and postpartum that are successfully treated by chiropractic care
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Coccyx pain
- Symphysis pubis dysfunction
- Round ligament pain
- Rib and upper back pain
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Hip Pain
- Lower back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Neck pain and headaches
- Carpal tunnel and wrist complaints
- Diastasis Recti rehabilitation
- Muscle imbalances
- Posture rehabilitation
Chiropractic care after pregnancy (postpartum)
For most, this is “The Forgotten Phase” as often the mom is forgotten in the flurry of baby fever.
However just as in pregnancy, this Fourth Trimester is one of the most important transitions of motherhood.
For a new mom, it is time to adapt to all the emotional, physical, and traumatic changes experienced through pregnancy and birth.
During this time, a mother’s spine is trying to adjust to the absence of the baby in the belly, as well as new challenges and physical demands, such as holding the baby, breastfeeding, hormonal changes, and carrying car seats. Biomechanics and function are impacted by the effects of the relaxin hormone on the spine and joints. By ensuring proper alignment of the spine and pelvis during this stage you are ensuring a faster and easier recovery.
Is it safe?
Chiropractic is a non-invasive, drug-free discipline, meaning the risks associated are very low. We use unique techniques and positions specific for pregnancy and comfort during care.
At Rise Chiropractic we use safe and gentle techniques specially created for care during pregnancy.